Venues in seven cities — London, Los Angeles, New York, Melbourne, Taipei, Hong Kong and Beijing — are confirmed for World Baijiu Day as the 88-day countdown to August 8 is on. See the countdown clock at right and details about all participating venues on this world map.
Confirmed venues at time of writing include (in alphabetical order):
- Capital Spirits, a baijiu-focused bar in Beijing with a range of flights of baijiu styles and brands.
- Golden Monkey, a cocktail bar and restaurant in Melbourne with many China-inspired dishes and drinks.
- The Hide, a London bar where one co-owner experimented widely with baijiu during a four-year stint in China — expect intriguing cocktails come August 8.
- Jing-A Taproom, a craft brew pub in Beijing that will use qu, the fermentation agent for baijiu, to make a specialty beer.
- Lumos, positioned as the first New York establishment to specialize in baijiu.
- Mott 32, a Chinese restaurant recently named by South China Morning Post as the top baijiu spot in Hong Kong — try one of its baijiu-inspired cocktails.
- Peking Tavern, a bar and restaurant in Los Angles that specializes in street food and drinks, including baijiu, inspired by northern China.
- R&D Cocktail Lab, a Taipei venue dedicated to alcohol experimentation and that will feature kaoliang, the baijiu most associated with Taiwan.
- The Schoolhouse at Mutianyu, located near The Great Wall, which makes five kinds of baijiu-based liqueurs.
I am also in contact with people in ten more cities and will update the map soon.
Special thanks to Alisha Bailey, Paul Mathew, Ross and Mischa Moschelle for their advice.
World Baijiu Day is held each August 9. See our 2018 event list here. The 2019 list is coming soon. Follow World Baijiu Day on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Get in touch with Jim Boyce via spirit (at) worldbaijiuday.com.